Saturday, February 4, 2012

Memoir Writing-Four Terrific Takeaways from Susan Colleen Browne

Susan Colleen Browne has written for years.  She wrote her own memoir,  Little Farm In The Foothills, is a professional editor, non-fiction writer and a popular creative writing instructor.  I'm taking a class with her this morning, and appreciate her wisdom, such as,

  • Think about writing that you love to read and write THAT
  • Brainstorm writing with your normal hand, then try brainstorming with the hand you normally DON'T use to write.  As soon as I did that, I switched to images and metaphor--it was amazing!
  • Fiction is always a quest, and the main character has to want something
  • The best memoirs have killer settings
These insights are from the morning session;  I'm writing this at a little Pho restaurant before I go back to class.  I'm inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment