Saturday, January 28, 2012

Dawn Grove's Blogging Class-5 Timesaving Takeaways

At 57, I know how much I don't know about blogs and blogging.  So, I enrolled in Whatcom Community College's Community Ed class, Write Blogs that Get Noticed.  Nearly three hours into this four hour class, my head is a gurgling cauldron of ideas, do's and don't's, and best practices.  The teacher, Dawn Groves, is a tiny, juggernaut of powerful ideas based on her hardwon experience.

Here are five great takeaways I've learned so far:

  • Just post it.  Don't edit and re-edit, waiting until you've written a perfect post.  Put it in, and if you need to, edit later.
  • Link to other websites for reader interest and your own credibility.  For example, former Writer's Digest staff member Jane Friedman, is a marvelous resouce, and has a marvelous website to browse
  • Try and post at least twice a week.  You can even write something in Word, stick it in a folder, and post it later.
  • Blogging takes focus and determination.  Don't put off blogging for the end of the day.
  • You have 10 seconds to grab a reader's attention--use that time wisely!
So many questions I've had are answered; so many more questions are tumbling around my poor stuffed brain.  But I'm posting, regardless!

Kudos and flowers to me for posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment